Quality Assurance is the means through which an institution ensures and confirms that the conditions are in place for students to achieve the standards set by it or by another awarding body (Quality Assurance Agency 2004).
SCTS Education aims to ensure that the learning aims, educational content, the teaching methods and learning outcomes of all accredited courses are appropriate and of high standard. This to be achieved by developing and implementing a robust process of quality assurance of educational activities delivered in the UK.
SCTS Education aim
• Map all trainee targeted courses accredited by SCTS Education to the Cardiothoracic Intercollegiate Surgical Curriculum Programme
• Develop SCTS University into the prime Continuing Professional Development activity for all Cardiothoracic Consultants
• Accreditation of specialist courses
• Accreditation of industry developed, sponsored and delivered courses
Course Accreditation Process
All Course Directors or Providers who wish to apply for SCTS Education Accreditation badge will have to complete and submit an Application Form for Accreditation. This is to be completed and returned to the Education Administrator, Mara Banuta firstname.lastname@example.org together with the course programme and an evaluation of completed feedback form, if available. If feedback is not available, the Course Director or Provider must be willing to send an evaluation of feedback, once completed. It is important that the documents for the course accreditation application are received 4 - 6 weeks prior to the course date. Once approved, a letter will be sent confirming approval and number of CPD points awarded, along with an invoice for the application processing fee (please see below).
The educational activity application will undergo a review by Accreditation Officer or representative of the SCTS Education Committee. If the course is deemed suitable, full accreditation is only granted following a quality assurance visit of the course and if appropriate the Accreditation awarded.
Once the quality assurance Inspection visit is completed the Accreditation is granted for three years. At the end of the process the course directors will be in a position to use “This course is accredited by SCTS Education”
Criteria for Course Evaluation
– Valid, clear and achievable learning objectives
– Suitable Faculty to deliver the teaching
– Varied methods of delivery of teaching to facilitate learning
– Appropriate facilities for the course and learning aids
– Provision of adequate catering
– Appropriate evaluation methodology of the course and learning
Benefits of SCTS Education Accreditation
– All accredited courses will have the benefit of using SCTS Education badge for three years. This assures both the providers and the attendees that the educational activity is quality assured
– Only courses accredited by SCTS Education will be advertised by mailing from the SCTS
– Accredited Courses will be listed on SCTS website under SCTS Education section
This is for processing an accreditation application form and the expense has been deliberately kept to a minimum to allow all Course Directors the opportunity to apply without it being prohibitive.
Non Profit Course Accreditation - £100 and expenses for accreditation visit
For Profit/Industry Courses - £500 and expenses for accreditation visit
All courses developed by or in conjunction with the Cardiac and Thoracic Tutors will undergo through the accreditation process but will be exempt from paying any fees.