Most patients will have most of their preoperative medication continued after the operation although their dosages may be slightly altered.
Common drugs to continue are:
- Blood thinners or Antiplatelets – (Aspirin or Clopidogrel)
- Blood lowering drugs – (Beta blockers, ACE-inhibitors, or calcium channel blockers)
- Cholesterol lowering drugs – statins
- Diuretics (water tablets)
- Diabetic medication – if diabetic
- Asthma medication – if asthmatic
Common additional medications include:
- Pain killers (Paracetamol and codeine)
- Formal anticoagulation (Warfarin, NOAC’s)
- Antiarrhythmics (Amiodarone, Digoxin)
These will be relayed on your discharge summary to your GP and cardiologist for their follow-up information.